Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Missing Home

Its only Tuesday & I can already tell its going to be a long week.
It's been a little harder to wake up at 8:30 and get ready for work.
The commute to work has felt thirty minutes longer than usual.
I'm missing my favorite holiday...4th of July.
It's time to wash clothes and I just can't make myself spend 10 euro = $12.58 on one load.
& I just want to find a normal sandwich not one with jelly in the middle and handful of mayonnaise.
Its getting tough to ignore the fact that people don't say excuse me & there is no personal space.

I hate to complain but the study abroad program warned us this would happen and after speaking to the adviser this stage is perfectly normal.

Stage 2 - Withdrawal
The individual now has some more face to face experience of the culture and starts to find things different, strange and frustrating.
They:. Find the behaviour of the people unusual and unpredictable. Begin to dislike the culture and react negatively to the behaviour . Feel anxious. Start to withdraw. Begin to criticize, mock or show animosity to the people

A normal night in Lawrence!
So I decided to make an imaginary care package list of things I would want from home & things I miss.

1.My nephew & niece
2. Lamars Donuts
3. Little E (better known as my car)
3. Cheesecake
4. My very uncomfortable bed
5. US Dollar Conversion
6. A Courteous Waiter
7. Pandora
8. Hulu
9. VH1
10. Baby Jay (School Mascot)
11. A normal night in Lawrence
12. Pedestrian Right-of-Way  Signs
13. A hamburger
14. A DVD
15. Buffalo Wild Wings



1 comment: