Monday, June 25, 2012

You Only Live Once

I cannot even put into words what I experienced this weekend. Probably the most exhilarating/ scariest thing in my life.

To many people...its just a normal outdoor adventure to me it goes somewhere on my list of amazing things next to meeting the president or standing next to the Eiffel Tower.

 While everyone else in our KU group (consisting of more than 20 people) decided to go to Cork this weekend me and a girl named Claire decided to be do something different. We booked trains to Waterford, Ireland for the weekend (2 1/2 hours away from Dublin).

Although I have traveled on my own before never have I had to worry about where I was sleeping or how I  would get around (seeing that renting a car over here is out of the question). I must admit it was a bit scary and nerve racking. 

After we got settled in Waterford we caught a bus thirty minutes away to a town called Dunmore. Thirty minutes later we arrived at our destination the Outdoor Adventure Center.

Next thing I knew, we were strapped in wetsuits and sitting in our kayaks.

Hugh, our instructor, was super nice but that didn't take away from the fact it took me an hour to get completely comfortable with the fact we were sitting on plastic and floating above water. I was super nervous and Claire could tell because she persistently kept reminding me 'this was your idea'.

 But after an hour of staying near the beach I decided to paddle my way into the ocean and let the waves guide me.

The  instructor asked me what made me decide to go kayaking and I told him "this is something I would never think about doing but you only live once , so why not risk your life."

When our session was over Hugh pulled me aside and said that he has never seen someone so nervous about kayaking pull through it so nicely and put their heart into it.

In my head I was just trying to survive.

For some reason, I think he was telling the truth though. I think that has been the story of my life. Every time I am introduced to adversity I have a severe melt down only to end up beating whatever the situation was against all odds.
YOLO!
We went inside a cave climbed up rocks & made a wish inside this fountain!
Me & Hugh!
Me & Claire!
I finally got the courage to swim away....

1 comment:

  1. OMG!! Jasmine, YOLO is right. I wish I had your adventurist spirit. Have you seem any leprechuns yet. You are in it for the complete experience. Have fun. Yolo.
    PJ

    ReplyDelete